Site Logo

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recover data from Reset All
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:20 pm 
New User
New User

All,

In the middle of a long measurement process, the Reset All menu item was accidentally selected. All of the Geometric Items are still in the Tree, but with a red exclamation point. In the Info screen, I can all of the originally measured point coordinates. However, I've been unable to recreate the geometric fits.

Is it possible to use this point data and recover the measured geometry?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Recover data from Reset All
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:40 pm 
DELCAM Staff
DELCAM Staff

Sessma.

The only values in the Info tab after a reset are nominal values. When you measure an item the info tab will display the results as the actual value.

Until measured it will display the nominal only. Now if you are using the nominals from the active measure they will remain as they have now become the nominal data and will only change if you repeat the selection process.

The points from the features measured whose RESULT becomes nominal cannot be used after a reset or across measures as the are erased when the reset happens but the nominal will remain.

Unfortunatley you will have to remeasure.

Darren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:39 pm 
New User
New User

Darren,

Thank you for your reply.

Is it possible to manually enter data during a measurement?

Thank you,
Skip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:46 am 
DELCAM Staff
DELCAM Staff

Skip,

No as this would compromise the measurement.

If the user can enter data or manipulate the CAD we would lose all integrity as the results could then be manufactured.

Darren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

i've done this many times when using PWI, and would love a "undo" button, would save many fustrating accidents i'm sure....but i am sure i've already asked for this.

scott

Intel i7 3820, SSD,16gb ram & nvidia K2000
Windows 7 (X64)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:41 pm 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

hI
If you accidentlly RESET ALL (which I have also done)
Close the session immediately. DO NOT SAVE.
Reopen the session and it will have all the information up to your last save. At least you dont loose everything
(Good Habit) Regularly save your work. Its a Habit i have got into and it saves a lot of time when you push wrong key or system crashes.
Good Luck
Nigel
Swindon U.K.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:48 pm 
New User
New User

Thanks, Nigel. That's a very helpful tip!

Does anyone know if it's possible to edit a PowerINSPECT file to insert these data points? Since I have the data I can produce the geometric fits outside of PowerINSPECT using Matlab, but it sure would be nice to recover this data within a PowerINSPECT file.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:50 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Skip, what are you exactly doing? What point co-ordinates are we talking about which are still there? And how comes measured data is still there after the Reset? How many points or features are we talking about? Would you mind posting your PWI file?

What you can always do is to key-in points in the Misc menu and start your calculations from there. OK for 3 circles, but if you lost 500 of them, then this could take a while...
peter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 am 
New User
New User

Strictly a "Government" project ... measuring a kart chassis. This was a one-off measurement with no script. Just measuring elements as we went with an assistant typing in names. That's when the "Reset All" accidentally occurred. The PWI file is attached.

I'll try keying in the points from the Misc menu.

Thank you,
Skip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 am 
New User
New User

I finally got some time to try keying-in points per the Misc menu. This step worked fine. However, I can't figure out how to recreate the geometric elements from the original points. For example, I had measured approximately 10 points to define a large plane. The plane from points element only allows me to input 3 points. Is it possible to create elements from more than the minimum required for a given geometric type?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:44 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Yes, in the 'plane from points' there is a button 'New Point' or similar, button looks like the 'New Folder' symbol in older windows style.
This will create as much entries as you need, afterwards simply select the points.
peter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:28 pm 
New User
New User

Thank you, Peter! That's working fine!

Is it possible to import points from an ASCII file. I've created a commas-separated file of the XYZ and IJK values, but cannot get it to import. Does anyone have a sample file?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:08 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Here we go.
First rename to .pts
Then import via dynamic points editor, 'import points' button or similar.
This will create 3 guided surface points on the demo part 'demo block cmm+arm' which you can find in the 'samples' folder of PI.
When importing with vectors, everything must be fine - without vectors the vectors might be wrong, then highlight the points and click on 'invert vector' button or similar.

There is a second method to import points via Tools - there you can select which way to import and may also import geometrical single points.
peter

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:15 pm 
New User
New User

Hi Peter,

Thank you for sending the TXT files. When I try to import them, I receive a "No points were imported from the provided file" message.

I'm unable to find a sample PTS file in the samples folder. Could you please send a sample file?

Thank you,
Skip

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:52 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Here is the manual:
1. First rename the attachment file 'Punkteliste mit Vektoren' to *.pts (The * stands for any name you like, e.g. 'test'. Or you can leave the original german name of course.)
2. Then create new project in PI and import the appropiate CAD file from the PI's samples folder called 'demo block cmm+arm' or similar. The extension is ODX or DDZ.
3. Finally import the PTS file via dynamic points editor, 'import points' button or similar.
Result: This will create 3 guided surface points on the demo part, which you can measure after performing an alignment.
peter