Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Questions using Shoemaker-e:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:18 pm 
New User
New User

Questions for 3D design using Shoemaker-e:

I have not used Shoemaker-e yet.
But I went here (URL NOT permitted by FORUM) but
this forum do not allow me to post URLs.
Here is my warning:
"Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs. "

And I still have LOTs OF questions, especially after watching the video on youtube below:
“How to Use 3D Shoe Design Software “
URL NOT permitted by FORUM

To the Shoemaker staff, please answer the following questions as detail as you can. I know it is a lot of questions. Please take your time to answer than to give incomplete responses.
Thank you.

1) Shoe last design, dealing with special case shoe last:
Assume I want to make insole and midsole as one merged thick insole.
Let say the merged insole is 5 (five) cm thick, for hypothetical discussion purposes.
Then I want to make the shoe last that includes thickness of the merged insole.
Can the last be made this way on Shoemaker-e by merging the thickness of the merging insole with the shoe last from your library?

2) Effect of the thick merged insole and shoe last:
Does changing the merged insole thickness automatically change the shoe last thickness?

3) In the video, there is not much discussion on outsole design.
An example: I may want to hollow out the outer sole, and add some other structures inside the outer sole and also may be add some outer structures at bottom of the outer sole.
Does shoemaker-e creates sole from scratch or allow a sole template to be modified aggressively,
or do I have to use a separate package, SoleEngineer or some other 3D package?

4) Differences between shoemaker-e and shoemaker Pro?

5) Does the 8 items/products in ShoemakerPro also shows up in Shoemaker-e:
Which data from any of these product is available free?
I am aware that Shoemaker-e save data in file *.shoe.

6) Does purchased voucher have access to ALL these products' data as SEPARATE files for export to other third party package?
Example, export shoe last or outersole data to any 3D CAD.

7) Cost of voucher ?

8 ) Where can I post for freelance shoemaker designers?

9) Scenario:
Say we have two designers doing same shoe project on the Shoemaker-e.
Can they share files (without vouchers) when using shoemaker-e since shoemaker-e file is *.shoe?

10) Importing files:
10a) Say I scanned a footprint on office priter/copy/scanner machine, and it is dimensionally CORRECT, can it be imported into Shoemaker-e and still maintain its dimensions?

10b) I want to overlay the scanned footprint onto the shoe and the shoe last, which can then be used for resizing the shoe last. Can this be done?

11) How do I set the height of the toes and upper height position at shoe's opening (near tongue) on the shoe last?

12) Are your shoe last library standard foot sizes for the shoe industry?

13) Is there any shoe last 3D sizes or footprint sizes database available somewhere for free or for purchase?

14) Can I get a thickness profile of the shoe last at various position by slicing AND also by pointing the mouse on the shoe last?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Questions using Shoemaker-e:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

1) Shoe last design, dealing with special case shoe last:
There is not an option to ‘merge’ insoles and midsoles into the last within ShoeMaker. LastMaker does allow the user to define an insole on the bottom of the last and then export the last with the insole merged into the last. If the insole had to be designed outside of LastMaker and then merged into the last then LastMaker Pro (or PowerSHAPE) could be used for this purpose.

2) Effect of the thick merged insole and shoe last:
In LastMaker if the user updates the insole the last would have to be exported again (as STL) and imported into ShoeMaker for the change to be affected – it is not an automatic update. Also, LastMaker Pro (or PowerSHAPE) will not automatically update the last in ShoeMaker if changes are made by the user.

3) In the video, there is not much discussion on outsole design.
ShoeMaker –e allows the user to go into ‘Advanced’ mode in any of the creation activities and make changes to any parts of the shoe model. In the case of soles this could be used to create a ShoeMaker ‘standard’ sole and make any number of changes to it or it could also be used to create a completely user defined sole from scratch. Having said that most customers who need to design complex detailed soles would normally use SoleEngineer rather than ShoeMaker ‘Advanced’ mode because SoleEngineer gives the users a lot more freedom than ShoeMaker ‘Advanced’ mode.

4) Differences between shoemaker-e and shoemaker Pro?
Shoemaker Pro
File format .shoe
Can export data to any other format
Can add new materials/accessories/lasts to libraries
Full rendering in KeyShot
Can see/edit flattening
Can create 2D patterns that can be opened in Engineer for further pattern engineering

Shoemaker-e
File format .eshoe
Needs a voucher for export
Only limited set of libraries but you can create your own last using import last process.
KeyShot renders with watermarks
Can’t see/edit flattening
Can’t create 2D patterns

5) Does the 8 items/products in ShoemakerPro also shows up in Shoemaker-e:
I don’t understand the question. Can you please give me a little more detail and I’ll try to answer this. The one thing I can tell you is that ShoeMaker –e saves an .eshoe model which will only reopen in the copy of ShoeMaker –e that created it. It won’t open in any other copy of ShoeMaker –e without a paid conversion being performed.

6) Does purchased voucher have access to ALL these products' data as SEPARATE files for export to other third party package?
Models generated in ShoeMaker –e can be translated into other CAD formats by using the ‘Tools – Vouchers – Manage account’ form. Each translation uses a single ‘voucher’ and vouchers can be purchased through the ‘Manage account’ form. Users can choose to translate the whole model or any part(s) of the model by selecting the elements that they wish to translate. Users can chose to translate their .eshoe models into a variety of other CAD formats - commercial, neutral and Delcam specific. The list of formats available can be viewed on the Delcam Exchange web site.

7) Cost of voucher ?
Each voucher currently (August 2015) costs £34 (approximately US$50) and there are discount for purchasing multiple vouchers. One voucher is used for each translation performed.

8) Where can I post for freelance shoemaker designers?
Sorry – not sure. Maybe other people on the forum could help you with this question.

9) Scenario:
Any .eshoe model can be opened by any other installation of ShoeMaker –e (assuming that both PC have common version of the ShoeMaker –e) so you can pass an .eshoe model to another seat of ShoeMaker –e and it can be opened, edited and saved again. What is not possible is for 2 installs of ShoeMaker –e to open and work on the same .eshoe model at the same time. As soon as an .eshoe model is opened by one user it can only be opened ‘read only’ be a second user. The second user can perform a ‘Save as’ operation to generate a new .eshoe model but they will not be able to perform a ‘Save’ operation. Only for first user to open the .eshoe model can perform a ‘Save’ operation.

10) Importing files:
a. It is currently not possible to import a stencil image and make it dimensionally accurate however this is currently being worked on by the ShoeMaker software development guys and it should appear in a future version of ShoeMaker.
b. You can’t resize a last using imported foot data in ShoeMaker but this can be done in LastMaker. LastMaker allows the user to import a 3D foot scan or 2D document scans and use this foot data to modify a last so that it is a good fit to the foot. The last modification is a manual process so LastMaker does not automatically edit the last to match the imported foot data.

11) Setting the height of the toes and the opening near the tongue for the last can be done in the “Last Editing” dialogue?
ShoeMaker –e has a small number of last editing tools available to the users, including the ‘Last editing’ function which can be used to set the toe spring (or toe height) and heel height of the last. ShoeMaker does not have a function that would allow the users to edit the last ‘entrance’ region. LastMaker does have functions to do this. ShoeMaker –e does have a function that lets the user ‘relax’ the entrance area of the shoe design. So, the shoe is designed on the manufacturing last and the ‘Shoe relaxation’ tool can be used to edit the shoe design to make it appear as if the shoe has been ‘taken off’ the last.

12) Are your shoe last library standard foot sizes for the shoe industry?
Apart from the Mondo point sizing system the general footwear sizing systems used by footwear companies around the world are not standardised. For example a US size 10 sports shoe produced by company A can be completely different size to a US size 10 sports shoe produced by company B. In the ShoeMaker installed last library each last has a size but we allow the users to modify the general dimensions of each last using the ‘Last editing’ tools and also the ‘Grading’ functions. These tools allow the users to edit the physical size of each last so that they match any size required by the users.

13) You can create your own lasts, but there isn’t currently a place where you can buy more last designs from a database.
We don’t have any lasts available for users to purchase. ShoeMaker –e does allow users to import lasts (in various formats) which can be processed into ‘ShoeMaker lasts’ ready for designing on. Some of the last manufacturing companies sell physical lasts as well as digital lasts so you could purchase digital lasts from one of the companies offering them and import that data into ShoeMaker for footwear design.

14) The cross section tool does not allow you at present to measure at various positions.
Currently when the dynamic sectioning tool is active the measurement tool is inactive. I’ve reported this to the software development guys as a ‘wish’ – which is an enhancement request. It will be considered as an enhancement in a future version of ShoeMaker. Thanks for the feedback. Most of the new features and functions added onto ShoeMaker are at the request of customers so we value feedback like this to help us guide the software development process.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]