Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Adding crucial functionality to Orthomodel 2016!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:59 am 
New User
New User

Dear all OrthoModel 2016 users,

I'd like to discuss a seemingly obvious omission from the functionality of this software. With Autodesk pulling out of the orthotics design & manufacturing business in the very near future, I was hoping to rally support from you all, and lobby the Orthomodel 2016 software development team to address this shortcoming prior to the fast approaching cutoff date, which will see us all being left with a final version of this package that will never again be updated.

As they say, "united we stand", so the more people that express interest regarding this proposed addition, the better a chance we have of its inclusion in the next (and probably last) software update.

I refer to the "Profiles" section, where you are presented with a set of tools to modify the bottom shape, or trimline, of your orthotic design. There are a number of ways that this can be achieved via the Profiles menu, with options available such as "Position", "Shape", "Region" and "Smooth". I have found these functions to be intuitive and well designed, and I feel that the options available to modify the bottom trimlines are limitless, which is fantastic.

Where I believe Orthomodel 2016 could really shine is if this Profiles menu allowed the user to toggle between "bottom trimline" and 'top trimline" designs. This added functionality would allow the user to have total control over the wall heights of the orthosis. We could raise and lower medial arch wall heights, heel cup shapes, the lateral wall heights, as well as the transitions between these elements, to produce the EXACT top trimline profile we desire, without any limitations. Currently, it seems as though we are working within the boundaries set by Autodesk with respect to the wall profiles, altered only through the "Midfoot" box in the "Parameters" section. This does not produce a wall profile that I am happy with, no matter how much I tinker with it.

I don't know much about software development or coding, but to me it seems like this woud be an easy addition to make for someone that does. The coding for this function is already written and the interface is already there, because it is currently being used for shape changes to the bottom trimline. We just need to be able to switch to the top trimline and use the same functionality.

I'd be very interested in having a show of hands to determine whether this added function is something that other Orthomodel 2016 users, both here in Australia and around the world would find useful, because if you're on board with a change like this, we need to approach the software development team as a unified group and request that this be added. I believe that we have until either the end of June or July until they turn the lights out with respect to further development, so the sooner we get moving on this, the better our chances of success will be.

So, whos with me?
I look forward to harnessing the power of this forum to effect what I believe to be a crucial change in the Orthomodel 2016 package, and look forward to your responses.

Sincerely,

David Dzienciol
Orthotist/Managing Director - The Orthotic Clinic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]