Site Logo

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Drilling Method
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:31 am 
New User
New User

Hello,
Can anybody help me on how to use the new drilling method strategy.Help section don't say in detail.

Regards
Arun

Post subject: Re: New Drilling Method
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:59 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Can you expand on your question? Not sure what you are referring to. :?:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 pm 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

i never use this "new drilling method". it is much simpler to use just drilling, make my "favorite" drilling method(center drill, profile, reaming or etc.) and save it as template for future faster job

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:34 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

My coworker uses it a lot. if you do a lot of drilling, it is worth taking the time to make a template and use it. My coworker does a lot of fixture plates with hundreds of holes. all he has to do is make the feature set. the new drilling method template does everything centre drills, drills, reams, taps. it might be a little jagging around to make the template, but if you do a lot of holes, its worth it.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:17 pm 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

I have been using this method for a few weeks now and find it really good.

www.camodels.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:35 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

it took myself ages to get my head around the drilling then one day the penny dropped and it all fell into place i would never go back now that i have got used to it.
most of my work is centered around the injection moulding world with a few press tools thrown inbetween.
i have all my tools loaded in via a template with all the correct feeds and speeds depth of cut etc the new drilling method picks out the coreect tool automatically with no user input if its not in the list it generates its own tool which i the load in the neccessary info and reproces the odd toolpath just to update the feed speed doc etc. i then save out all new tools to the data base for future reference and safe keeping. once a week i then update my template with all new tools. we have drawings with all jobs so the operator knows what size hole is what ie drilled tapped reamed etc and adjusts the programe at machine to suit. (this is only because i have a limited number of tools and a maximum 30 in the tool changer).
the whole drilling process works brilliant for us now even though im limited by the machines. 30mins work on a monday morning can keep a machine running all week more or less.
all i can say is everyone should take time with this to get there heads around it once they have done they will never go back. :D
cheers karl

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Hmm...have a part with 184 holes in it, was gonna program manually, after all these years I've never used drilling in PM....might have to give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:10 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Go for it Dan :D
Im not the brigtest person on pm by far but it is so easy once you get your head around it.
is it just a flat plate Dan?
cheers
karl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 am 
New User
New User

karliboy wrote:
it took myself ages to get my head around the drilling then one day the penny dropped and it all fell into place i would never go back now that i have got used to it.
most of my work is centered around the injection moulding world with a few press tools thrown inbetween.
i have all my tools loaded in via a template with all the correct feeds and speeds depth of cut etc the new drilling method picks out the coreect tool automatically with no user input if its not in the list it generates its own tool which i the load in the neccessary info and reproces the odd toolpath just to update the feed speed doc etc. i then save out all new tools to the data base for future reference and safe keeping. once a week i then update my template with all new tools. we have drawings with all jobs so the operator knows what size hole is what ie drilled tapped reamed etc and adjusts the programe at machine to suit. (this is only because i have a limited number of tools and a maximum 30 in the tool changer).
the whole drilling process works brilliant for us now even though im limited by the machines. 30mins work on a monday morning can keep a machine running all week more or less.
all i can say is everyone should take time with this to get there heads around it once they have done they will never go back. :D
cheers karl

Hi guys new to PowerMILL here trying to get my head around drilling are you using the new drilling method or just drilling?

And do you use a template for all your tools ect?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:05 am 
New User
New User

Karliboy Hi

Are you using the new drilling method or just drilling?

Im fairly new to powermill so assume i should make a feature set with the holes in and a template for all my tools?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:27 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

i use the new drilling method and have all my tools saved in a template.
thanks
karl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:07 am 
New User
New User

Thanks, I also work in Ejection Moulding so have alot of holes to drill!

So if i understand corectly i need to make a template with the tools in then make the drilling method with the Process:

IE: Process: 5mm-Ejection holes
Strategy - 5mm Drill
Strategy - 9mm Ctrbore
Strategy - Chamfer

I can then save this drilling method as a template and bring the work in with both templates make a feature set then hit Calculate.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for double post!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:28 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

I gues you can do that quite easily.
like i said above i let powermill work out 1 programe per hole and then the machine operator gets a drawing relative to the job and adjusts the programe to do counterbores, chmf and tapping, reaming etc which is all mainly changing cycles on our hiedenhain controls so is really simple.
yes you do need to make a feature set to do all this.
it will take a while for you to get your head around it and i gues to do what you want you will have to mess around with the componts number on the drilling form.
thanks
karl