Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Autodesk Powermill website
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:25 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

http://www.autodesk.com/products/powermill/overview

Not sure If I am going to like the new tiers of Powermill Standard, Premium and Ultimate.

I don't want to be forced to buy the ultimate version just so I can use the rib machining option, all the other options that come with ultimate we would never use.

What I just need is everything that comes in the standard version and rib machining.

Corsair 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Last edited by iamcdn on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New Autodesk Powermill website
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:29 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

I agree with you: This kind of packages is exactly the contrary of what we need in manufacturing: Since these softs are rather expansive, we just buy what we need, not the rest...

Let's see how long we can continue to use our "Taylor made" licenses to get the new versions ...

Olivier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:37 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

And I guess there is a new Powermill forum page that I knew nothing about https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/powermill-forum/bd-p/280

What is going to happen to this one?

Corsair 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:48 pm 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

Sort of like looking into Eletrode and having to get Ultimate. Don't need 5-axis with it.

Was looking at whats new videos and seen they never added arc fit to some of the tool paths that need it. Maybe time to move on after 18 years of Powermill.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:57 am 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

Please... Don´t let them Close this board... It has a big database for help yourself on your own!!

Anyway... we don´t like some of These Autodesk changes... unwanted rental licence, more complicated license System (i liked the USB Dongles, very easy to use).
Let see what happens in the future...

Made in Germany

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:24 am 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

For me, the biggest setback is end of the training license. The training license was good for macros/plugins programming and exploring new possibilities.
It was also good as a PowerMill projects explorer. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:28 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Was anyone of you able to download new versions of Powermill since Autodesk made all these changes ?

The only thing that I was able to download is a trial version of PowerSHAPE 2017, which does not work with my existing license, even if I my maintenance goes until the end of this year !

Looks like a big mess for the moment !!!

Olivier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:04 am 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

As i understand it first we Need Autodesk Account including the "delcam" licenses.
Delcam sends Information by mail that this will be an automatic process.

But i dont know how it goes when i have an existing account.

Quote:
Dear Customer,

In February 2014, we announced that Delcam had been acquired by Autodesk. We are now pleased to announce the integration of Delcam into the Autodesk global business on August 1, 2016.
How does this affect you?
If you do not have a current maintenance contract with Delcam, this change will not affect you at all.
If you are a current maintenance customer of Delcam products, your company will receive equivalent Autodesk products in August (e.g. Delcam PowerMILL to Autodesk PowerMill). Your maintenance expiration dates will not change. Please note only the primary contact for Delcam licenses within your organization should expect the following communications from Autodesk in early to mid-August:
$0 Cost - Order Confirmation E-mail
Autodesk will send you an email containing your new Autodesk replacement license(s) and product serial number(s). Please keep this communication for your records.

Welcome to Autodesk Account E-mail
Autodesk Account is an online portal to help you track and manage all of your Autodesk products, services, and benefits in one place. This email will contain your unique User ID, temporary password, and login instructions. Please login and check that your new Autodesk licenses are available. For more information about how to access Autodesk Account and manage your Autodesk Maintenance Contract, visit the Autodesk Knowledge Network.
Further Information
For further information, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). If your organization does not receive new license and account information by the end of August, please contact us at delcamquestions@autodesk.com and we will be happy to assist you.

FAQ= http://manufacturing.autodesk.com/downloads/pdf/Autodesk_Delcam_FAQ_Customers.pdf

In that PDF FAQ Document it says:
Quote:
1.4 When will the new Autodesk offerings be available?
New Autodesk 2017 offerings will be available beginning August 7, 2016.

Made in Germany

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:17 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

It sounds like they are replacing the Delcam name with Autodesk.

Hopefully for existing contract customers nothing else will change.

However it does make me wonder what will happen if you want to add another seat.

If rental becomes the only option that wont be an option for us.

Imagine cancelling the rental and droping back to an older version. All the work done on a later version would be useless.

As it is at the moment, if you cancel your maintenance at least you keep the latest installed version and all your work and macro's are useable.

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:02 am 
Site Admin

I fully understand your concerns. It has all been a major change for us here at Delcam, too, and it isn't simply a case of changing the name - Delcam is now fully part of Autodesk. This is a very positive change for all of us.

If you have purchased a full licence of any Delcam product, and continue to keep it on maintenance, nothing changes. You still get regular updates, help and support etc. exactly as you do today. If you choose not to continue on maintenance, then you will go onto subscription. Unlike today, this will not 'freeze' your version, though - you will still get regular updates, and always be on the most recent release. Your software will never go out of date.

Today, if you need to add an extra seat, even if only for one big project, you have to buy a whole new licence. Under subscription, you can add extra seats whenever you want, and for however long you want. This gives you a lot more flexibility, as you can add or remove seats from subscription according to how much work you have going through your shop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:35 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Thanks JonH
You just answered all my concerns on this subject.
Since we have an older seat I was a little concerned.
Luckily my company always keeps up on the
maintenance.

Thank you

Instrumakr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:00 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

I believe there comes a point when you say to yourself, what more can a software add to improve on what you can already achieve.

I thought I had found that in PM14. then you go and add surface recognition in PM15.

That added another dimension to what can be achieved with macro's.

So when I am asked on the odd occasions do we need maintenance my answer is yes, based on what more I might achieve in macro's.
I don't think the tool paths will ever give us more than we need in our line of work. When you added proper undercutting with machine maximum stock, that was the icing on the cake.

If I were to be asked would I recommend renting a seat I would say no.

I don't buy into the idea that you rent a seat only for a period of time, that in every day practise you would pick up and drop a seat as and when.
That could only work in my mind if, I could find a way to reduce programming time significantly to where you no longer would need that extra seat.
I don't ever see that happening tbh.

Our aim I believe is to move from two software packages to one. The one being PM. This would mean adding more seats as more of the work load is shifted to PM, which would be used on a daily basis.

So as it works at the moment maintenance is by far the best option for us. With the initial cost being high and then staying with maintenance.

However I am only the user/developer of that software , inevitably the powers above make the decisions not I :) .

KEN

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]